The Student Newspaper of Highline College

Mehak Kaur

Mehak Kaur: Budding chemistry major’s graduation victory

Staff Reporter Jun 13, 2024

Paolo Honrade/THUNDERWORD

Mehak Kaur is a hard working Running Start senior that has devoted significant time and effort toward achieving her goals, and those efforts are finally paying off.

Starting her journey in the fall of 2022, Kaur is a first generation college student who’s taken up the admirable goal of expanding her education.

Born and raised here in evergreen Washington state, Kaur has been working toward her goals since her days in middle school. Though she had to take on math that was beyond her grade level, she rose to the challenge and passed with top marks.

Though the experience was going to be a new challenge, Kaur’s parents had her back every step of the way, with her father even working night shifts so he could give her transportation to school until she could earn her license.

The journey, of course, had its obstacles. “The most challenging thing about college was changing my studying, notetaking, and time management methods for each individual class,” said Kaur. “But now, as I tell some of the students I tutor (and they laugh), I have a calendar hung up in front of my desk, a planner on me at all times, reminders on my phone, and sticky notes on a board, all to organize my day.”

Despite the obstacles she faced, Kaur still found time to advocate for women like her, and even help others on their academic journeys. Kaur not only tutored other Chemistry students, but she worked at the MESA Center as an Academic Excellence Workshop Facilitator and has been an instrumental member of the Women in STEM club here at Highline. 

In her time here, Kaur has also earned a multitude of awards, like a Student Legacy Leadership Award in Chemistry, and a PAS award for MESA. Her dedication to her studies and towards helping her fellow students shows in these awards, and they are well deserved.

Unfortunately, even with all her efforts, she has still been treated unfairly by some of her peers. “I suspect it will become more prevalent as I continue on my academic journey, but even at Highline, some people will put you down because of your gender, not recognizing you for your skills or personality,” said Kaur. “Don’t get me wrong, I still love Highline, and no place is perfect, I’m just speaking about my experience. I am glad that I can count those occurrences on one hand.”

Even with these negative experiences, Kaur still thinks fondly of her time at Highline, and has high hopes for her journey beyond. While at first she was uncertain about her academic path in Highline, she holds no regrets and hopes to push herself even more at UW by taking on a double major.

When asked about who her biggest influences were, Kaur lovingly referred to her parents, teachers, and of course, her friends. “My parents, teachers, and friends are always the most influential people in my life. My parents inspire me with their sacrifice. They left behind a comfortable life in India for grueling work in a new country, all so their children could have a better future,” said Kaur.

Considering such an inspiring academic journey, there’s no doubt that there is wisdom that was gained. When asked what advice she would give her past self on her first day at Highline, Kaur had this to say: “Work hard, but don’t forget to enjoy it. In two short years, you’ll be graduating high school with an associate’s degree, but what matters more are the friends and skills you’ve learned along the way. There’s a lot more career opportunities and academic paths than you think, so don’t stress about being confined to one major or one concentration.”

These words of wisdom may be aimed at her past self, but they’re great advice for all of us to follow.

Congratulations on your graduation, Mehak!

Hani Al-Hilali/THUNDERWORD