The Student Newspaper of Highline College

RUNNING BLIND: Students who enroll via Running Start say they aren’t properly advised about college

By Faith Chao and Mark Wilkins Staff Reporters Jan 13, 2022

Running Start students say that they felt unprepared because their high schools did not give them enough information about college before beginning the program. 

Running Start is a dual enrollment program that allows students in their junior and senior years of high school to attend college to earn both college and high school credits, with school districts footing the bill for students’ college tuition. 

The college credits a student earns while in the program can count toward an associate’s degree or certificate by graduation. 

Many students say they were given general information about Running Start, but details regarding the enrollment process, what life in college would be like, and other advice was not included. 

“I just knew the basics of what Running Start was for,” said Vy Phung, a second-year Running Start student. 

“The high school tells you general information [about Running Start] that anyone would know. However, it didn’t include anything about enrolling,” said Andy Huynh, a first-year Running Start student. “The high school, at least my high school, generally encourages you to remain at the high school and take classes there, like AP classes.”

Advanced Placement classes can earn students some college credits while remaining in high school. 

Other students said they felt the same way, that their counselors were trying to encourage students to stay and take classes at the high school.  

Much of the advice that students got about what to expect from the program came from previous Running Start students. 

“I had to ask others who had been in Running Start to describe the program to me,” Huyn said. 

Besides the basic information given to the students, many do not know what to expect when beginning their first quarter at college. 

“I knew close to nothing about Highline or Running Start, so when enrolling, it was like a complete rollercoaster,” said Shantay Brown, who is in her second year of Running Start. 

“I think I would have been better prepared for my first year of Running Start if I knew the amount of mental, emotional, and for some classes, physical strain that comes with it,” Brown said. “Running Start is a great experience, it’s fantastic, but it is tiring keeping up with the harder classes.” 

Other students said their first time going through the enrollment process was confusing and frustrating. 

“It took about three to four days for the enrollment process including the one-to-two business days it takes for them to verify your Running Start Enrollment Verification Form,” Brown said. “About halfway through my third quarter I felt more prepared than my first quarter, and I am still continuing to learn as I go.” 

Other students said they found college no more difficult than high school. 

“I hear that it is hard, but I think it is actually not hard at all. I think it is easier than high school,” said Natasha Koshelnyk. 

Meanwhile, local high school counselors say they work with Highline to educate students on Running Start.

Tara Frank, school counselor at Thomas Jefferson High School in Auburn, said she has a large number of students currently enrolled in Running Start.  “About a quarter of my seniors and 20 percent of my juniors are in Running Start,” she said.

Frank said she advises her students on the program, and also recommends they speak to a counselor at the college.  “We let them know how it works and the main differences between college and high school,” she said.

“We have multiple information sessions for students and parents,” she said.  “We also stress the importance of meeting with an academic adviser at the college to make a two-year plan.”

She said they are in regular contact with Highline regarding Running Start.

“We have contacts that we communicate with at the college,” Frank said.  “We also have a yearly information session for updates about the college.”

“We receive monthly reports on who is enrolled and what classes they are in, and notification of students who are on academic probation,” she said.  “We work together to determine which classes count as equivalency credits, and we also get information about the college’s information nights.”

Owen Sallee, school counselor at Highline High School in Burien, echoes Frank’s comments regarding Highline’s support.

“Highline sends regular updates about Running Start enrollment, registration dates, etc.,” Sallee said.  “This communication keeps us updated on how to support students.”  

Sallee said Running Start is not for everyone.

“Many students are interested in the idea of Running Start but find college coursework challenging when they’re in 11th or 12th grade,” he said.  “Students who do pursue Running Start need to be prepared to work more independently than they did in high school classes, and at a faster pace.”

Sallee said he does not have a lot of students he counsels currently attending Running Start.

“It’s not a huge number,” he said.  “Out of 130-140 students in my group who are currently in 11th or 12th grade there are about 10 doing Running Start this year.”

For Highline, Running Start is an important source of students.  In Fall Quarter 2021, 1,378 students were enrolled in the program at Highline, representing slightly more than 10 percent of the total enrollment.

Additional information about Highline’s Running Start program can be found on its website at:

https://runningstart.highline.edu/getting-started/

Reporter Mary Verimeyev contributed to this story.

Tag cloud
spring Enrollment Basketball Bookstore Graduation Poetry Sound Transit Foundation Fall NWAC Star Trek Pandemic Accreditation Floyd Zoom Reopening Social distance Dr. Mosby T-Birds students Tennis COVID-19 online in-person Vote Arcturus Winter ctcLink Soccer Community Tutors BAT Highline Coronavirus Library Holiday Scholarships MLK Healthcare Budget Election Mental health Golf Thanksgiving ASHC