Lady T-Birds start season with loss
By Donnie Moore and Jarrett Spallino - Staff Reporters
The Lady T-Birds opened their season in pre-conference play, this past weekend, falling to both Skagit Valley and Peninsula.
Highline closed last season in the first round of the NWAC championship, losing to Walla Walla, 78-37, and finished the season 7-7 in conference play and 11-17 on the season.
"To be competitive and im- prove on what we did last year," said Head Coach Daimen Crump.
The Thunderbirds' lost in overtime to Skagit Valley, 65- 62, this past Friday. Highline took home more rebounds than
the Fighting Cardinals 12-11. Jazmina Lafitaga, sophomore guard forward, led the team in scoring, getting 16 points, fol- lowed by Sharon Ajayi, a stand- out from last year, with 11 points. "We competed hard. We went into overtime and lost by three but they didn't give up, Sha- ron got injured and hurt her knee. It was a close game all the way to the end," said Crump. Highline went on to play Pen- insula the following day, losing 69-59. Peninsula dominated in every phase of the game. The Pirates led in rebounds 33-25. The Pirates also led in shooting percentages, from free throws
and 3-points to field goals. "We didn't shoot very well. We shot poorly from the free throw line," said Crump. Jazmina Lafitaga had anoth- er strong game, scoring 15 points, placing her first in the conference for scoring in the first two games. She was fol- lowed by Tori Allen and Aleyah Bennett, each with 10 points. Highline will head into its next battle against Shoreline on Dec. 6,at6p.m.athomeinmore pre-conference play "[We] have to be more effi- cient on offense and just keep on working harder, learning the system, and playing more to- gether as a group," said Crump.
The Highline women's bas- ketball roster includes a few returnersandsomenew fresh- man:
Roster: • 3 Alani Sinclair Freshman
Forward, 5'11, Lindbergh High School, Renton.
• 4 Braeanna Estabillo Freshman Guard, 5'5, Lahain- aluna High School, Lahaina, Hawaii.
• 10 Kanani Kremers Soph- omore Guard, 5'3, Rex Putnam High School, Milwaukie, Ore- gon.
• 12 Nadija Demic Sopho- more Guard, 5'6, West High School, Saltlake City, Utah.
• 20 Caitlin Conwell Fresh- man Guard, 5'7, Kotzebue High School, Kotzebue, AK.
• 21 Sharon Ajayi Sopho- more Forward, 5'10, Kentwood High School, Kent.
• 22 Shione Chosokabe Freshman Guard, 5'2, Nitta Seiun High School, Ehime, Ja- pan.
• 23 Kami Jackson Sopho- more Guard, 5'7, Wylie High School, Arlington, Texas.
• 24 Tori Allen Freshman Guard-Forward, 5'10, Renton High School, Renton.
•30 Aleyah Bennet Sopho- more Guard, 5'3, Sammamish High School, Bellevue.
• 32 Jazmina Lafitaga Soph- omore Guard-Forward, 5'8, Mililani High School, Pearl City, HI.
• 32 Emolani Morris Fresh- man Center, 5'11, Foster High School, Tukwila.
• 34 Kiley Kirk Freshman Forward, 5'9, Ridgeline High School, Nibley, UT.