In touch, all the time
By Sophia Latifyar and Krystal Robbins - Staff Reporters
Highline students rely on social media, even in classrooms.
Students say they rely on social media in communicating with peers and friends. It is also a way for staying on top of trends, celebrities, memes, and posts.
"Yes I use social media, Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat. I use it a lot and during class especially if it gets boring," said Natalie Stephens.
Mary Rabua, another student, said, "I use Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, and Twitter for about four hours a day. Yes, I use it in class. The reason I go on social media is to make friends and see other post things."
Friends such as Daisy Estrada and Fabiola Aispuro agreed on using Snapchat, Instagram and Twitter. They both are on it all the time while keeping updated on other friends' posts. Estrada and Aispuro both have one account each and usually use their laptops or phones to access their media.
"I use YouTube for educational purposes. I do not use social media during class. Usually I use YouTube on my laptop," said Shawn Meyer.
On the other hand, Isaiah Umagat likes to use Twitter and Snapchat for 30 minutes a day in order to communicate with friends on his phone. He does not use it in class.
"Yes Snapchat, Instagram, and Facebook are my go-tos. I am on it about two hours daily. I do use it in class sometimes. I don't have multiple accounts but I use my phone. I use social media for entertainment and for keeping up with friends," said Madi Combs.
Other students said they communicate with each other through Instagram, MySpace, Snapchat, Twitter, and Facebook by laptops, Iphones, and Apple watches.
Instagram and Snapchat tied in being the top social media across Highline's campus.
The majority of students interviewed said they do use social media during class.
About 75 percent students use Instagram and Snapchat. While the remainder of 25 percent resulted to Twitter, Facebook, Youtube, and MySpace.
As of June 2017, the most popular social media nationwide are Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, Twitter, and Snapchat according to DreamGrow.
An alert Highline staff member and local public safety officers helped stop a potential suicide on campus last week.
While a staff member was working, he noticed a suspicious male wandering the East Lot around 6:25 a.m. May 25. The staff worker called Highline Public Safety who responded to find the individual running around with a rope in his hands, looking for a place to possibly hang himself.
This prompted Public Safety to contact Des Moines Police and South King County Fire and Rescue. By the time first responders came to the scene, the distraught man climbed into a tree near Building 99, ready to use the rope on himself.
First responders talked to the man, successfully convincing him to come down from the tree. After the turmoil settled the individual was transported to a nearby hospital for an evaluation.
Sgt. George Curtis of Public Safety said this was the first time he has encountered someone attempting to endanger their own life on campus.
Staff member passes out
Public Safety said the actions of the staff member who reported the incident is an excellent example of how “see something, say something” could potentially save a life. A staff member was reported to have passed out in Building 4 at 8:10 a.m. The person was sitting in their chair when they lost consciousness, then fell out, hitting their head on the ground. Public Safety arrived but the staff member refused any medical treatment.
Late night fast food runs a no-no
A suspicious car was spotted on campus at 1:35 a.m. on May 28 by a Public Safety officer. The car was occupied by two students and parked between buildings 29 and 22.
The two students had gone to Jack in the Box and decided to eat the fast food on campus.
They were told by the officer to leave because campus was closed.
Wash your tobacco elsewhere
Man is found washing cigarette butts in bathroom.
Officers made contact with a non-student who appeared to be washing cigarette butts in the third-floor bathroom sink in Building 26 on May 25 at 10:40 p.m.
The man was told to clean up and leave campus. He complied and took his cigarette butts elsewhere.