Women's soccer hopes to stay in first

By Aileen Kaye - Staff Reporter

Women's soccer heads into the second half of league play with a mission to finish in first place. 

Highline has won 10 out of its 11 games in league play. The only game they did not win was a game against Tacoma, in which they tied.

The second time around they beat Tacoma 4-1. 

"The countless hours we spend on the field/track/gym makes us form bonds and relationships that help us understand each other better off and on the field which makes us successful," said freshman forward Jewel Boland.

On Oct. 11, the T-Birds showed up to Grays Harbor to give them a 6-0 loss. 

Freshman Hailey Small scored all three goals in the first half. 

McKenzie Buell, Boland, and Bianca Acuario assisted her goals. 

In the second half Kaci-Lyn Navarro scored making it 4-0. Then Boland scored two more goals bringing it to 6-0.

Boland is tied for third in the NWAC for goals scored, leading her team with 14.

She is also ranked second in the NWAC with 36 points.

"The biggest adjustment would be fitness and the demands you have to meet going in, as well as throughout the season," Boland said referring to her move from high school to college.

On Oct. 14 Highline beat Lower Columbia 4-0. Lower Columbia was fifth in the western standings. 

McKenzie Buell was the first to score, and Jewel Boland scored the next two goals before the half 3-0. 

Kaci-Lyn Navarro was the only one to score in the second half of the game. 

Highline played against Bellevue 5-2-2 yesterday. Results from this game weren't available at press time. Bellevue is third in the western region. 

The NWAC playoffs for women's soccer begins on Nov. 1. 

Only the top three teams from every region have a shot for the championship. 

The teams that finish first within their region will play their first game on Nov. 4 against the winners of the Nov. 1 games. 

If Highline finishes in first, they will get a first-round bye, and then play the winner of the Northern No.3 and Eastern No. 2 playoff game. 

Highline has three games left until the playoffs. 

This Saturday the T-Birds will defend their home field at Starfire against Green River, 1-7, at noon.

They will play Centralia at 1 p.m. on Oct. 25 at Starfire.  

Women's soccer hopes to stay in first

Women's soccer heads into the second half of league play with a mission to fin...

Men's soccer team playoff bound

Deep into the regular season, the Highline men's soccer team remains undefeate...

College cash filling the wrong pockets

Collegiate athletes aren't getting justly compensated for their services. Th...

Suicide Stopped

An alert Highline staff member and local public safety officers helped stop a potential suicide on campus last week. While a staff member was working, he noticed a suspicious male wandering the East Lot around 6:25 a.m. May 25. The staff worker called Highline Public Safety who responded to find the individual running around with a rope in his hands, looking for a place to possibly hang himself. This prompted Public Safety to contact Des Moines Police and South King County Fire and Rescue. By the time first responders came to the scene, the distraught man climbed into a tree near Building 99, ready to use the rope on himself. First responders talked to the man, successfully convincing him to come down from the tree. After the turmoil settled the individual was transported to a nearby hospital for an evaluation. Sgt. George Curtis of Public Safety said this was the first time he has encountered someone attempting to endanger their own life on campus.

Staff member passes out

Public Safety said the actions of the staff member who reported the incident is an excellent example of how “see something, say something” could potentially save a life. A staff member was reported to have passed out in Building 4 at 8:10 a.m. The person was sitting in their chair when they lost consciousness, then fell out, hitting their head on the ground. Public Safety arrived but the staff member refused any medical treatment.

Late night fast food runs a no-no

A suspicious car was spotted on campus at 1:35 a.m. on May 28 by a Public Safety officer. The car was occupied by two students and parked between buildings 29 and 22. The two students had gone to Jack in the Box and decided to eat the fast food on campus. They were told by the officer to leave because campus was closed.

It's time to get ready for the big one

Stomp out sexual assault

Halloween Happenings

Women's volleyball has playoff chance

Health group explains services

Rocks break, earth quakes

Take a knee - it's heroic

New director takes oer at Highline Chorale

Women's soccer hopes to stay in first

No-No boys say no to military draft

All shook up

The art of the world

Snuggle up with a movie this Halloween

Men's soccer team playoff bound

Political cartoosn more than silly pictures

Students like diversity but not long lines

The man who changed the war

Orange Crush

College cash filling the wrong pockets

Highline professor seeks city council